Mount Calvary Lutheran Church of Cypress offers ELCA Lutheran church services every Sunday including communion. Music is at the heart of our worship services, Special services are also prepared and provided by a very talented group of members and our Pastor the Reverend Carole Parmeter Dyer.
This month's calendar of events
Upcoming and past service links
We look forward to seeing you next Sunday
All baptized Christians are welcome at our communion table.
During service sunlight filters through our many stained glass windows.
Visitors are always welcome. Come worship our risen Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We look forward to meeting you and invite you to share in coffee and fellowship after the worship service.
5895 Ball Rd, Cypress, California 90630
Monday - Friday: 9am - 12 noon
Coffee fellowship immediately following.
Contemporary worship every other Sunday.
With faith in and guidance from God our mission is to strive to spread the word of Jesus Christ by sharing His love, Word, and ministry with our community. Our mission is also to demonstrate the strength of Christ's presence through the way we live our lives.
The ELCA's ministry is here to demonstrate the strength of Christ's presence through the way we live our lives.
God's Word, constancy, and grace allow us to live in a faith that can be shared in the world.
Core Value #1 Support People in Need: We believe that God loves and provides for all people in creation. We believe all people should flourish and thrive. At Mt. Calvary, we are the hands that do God’s work to support our neighbors.
Core Value #2 Promote Human Equality and Mutual Respect: Liberated by God’s grace, we are united here to share the love of community and love of neighbor.
Core Value #3 Build a Warm Culture and Inclusive Fellowship: When Christians regularly meet together to worship God and fellowship with one another, we are a witness to the world. All are welcome at Mt. Calvary.
Core Value #4 Celebrate Diverse Worship and Music: Vibrant, diverse worship and music are central to our Lutheran tradition and bring us closer to God and one another.
Core Value #5 Respect for the Environment and Stewardship: At Mt. Calvary, we believe we are not separate from God’s creation, but are an integral part of it. We are strands interconnected with all things in the web of our planet Earth. As such, we have a responsibility to be faithful stewards of God’s creation and the resources given to us.
Core Value #6 Embrace Technology: We acknowledge that technology plays a significant role in our worship experience, in sharing the life of our church, and spreading God’s Love.
The first worship service of what became Mount Calvary Lutheran Church was held on October 20, 1957 in a small community building near Lincoln Avenue. Mount Calvary was formally organized as a congregation of the Augustana Lutheran Church on February 9, 1958 with sixty confirmed adults. Outgrowing the community building, services were soon relocated to the Retail Clerks Union Hall in Buena Park.
Groundbreaking for the first "real" church building was held on August 17, 1958 on a site that became part of Lutheran Bible Institute’s five acre campus on Western Avenue. The building was constructed by the men of the congregation and dedicated on April 5, 1959.
After the 1962 nationwide merger of several church bodies into the Lutheran Church in America (LCA), Mount Calvary purchased a triangular-shaped parcel of land at the northwest corner of Valley View Street and Ball Road in what was then commonly referred to as “Dairy Valley” -- now the city of Cypress. A three-year capital fund drive raised $30,000 and a modest Sanctuary was built on the property in 1965 at this major street intersection. The east corner was then sold to the Car Wash and the west end was sold to the Animal Hospital, and a modest Sunday School building was added and connected to the Sanctuary.
After the merger of the ALC and LCA into the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), in 1988 the congregation mustered its resources and strove forward with a Vision to develop a more useful and contemporary sanctuary and fellowship hall. This was a herculean effort for our fiscally conservative congregation, requiring five years and thousands of hours of effort.
In 1989 the property next to the Car Wash –– on which the existing church buildings sat –– was sold to provide core funds for new construction. What had been affectionately called the “Back 40” became the site for Mount Calvary’s new facilities, designed by a nationally recognized architect, Stewart Woodard, who had designed the original South Coast Repertory Theatre. For 15 months during construction, we returned to our former Anaheim home, which had become the Lutheran Bible Institute.
Mount Calvary’s congregation was committed to music and, fortunately for us, our choir director was an organ builder by trade. Our current “wind-driven” pipe organ was hand-assembled by members of the congregation with ranks of pipes from Bayshore Community Church in Long Beach and culled from silent cinema theater organs in Los Angeles and Hollywood.
Two fine artists were retained to complete our Vision. Ernst Schwidder, a world-recognized Christian woodworking artist, hand-chiseled the altar, crucifix, pulpits, baptismal font, and other wood elements; Mark Eric Gulsrud, a Pacific Northwest artist specializing in custom hand-blown leaded glass, hand-made the main stained glass windows within the Narthex and Sanctuary.
The third generation of facilities was dedicated on June 9, 1991. Due to Mount Calvary’s hard work and commitment to excellence, these facilities continue to inspire our services, our singing and our faith.
Copyright © 2018 Mount Calvary Lutheran Church of Cypress, CA
All rights reserved.